Test 3: Greens, is a re-run of Test 1: Greens, whose results were pooched by an LED lamp hardware failure.
Conditions same as Test 1, with somewhat different crops. And a working LED lamp.
- 16W triband LED spotlight, 3rd generation (132 red - 18 blue - 18 full spectrum white LEDs, about 7:1:1)
- 15W 6500 K CFL floodlight, 650 lumens, "daylight" bulb with built-in reflector.
For comparison, AG Deluxe bulbs are 26W, but unfocused. They also seem yellower to my eye.
The CFL is definitely hotter. Which probably gives the CFL plants a head start.
2009-02-14: Presoaked 3-4 hours and planted seeds in each of two pots:
Same as in Test 1: Greens:
- 4 French blush radish (thin to 2) - harvest time 25 days
- 3 little Caesar romaine (thin to 1) - harvest 45-60 days
Differ from Test 1: Greens
- 4 toy choi pak choi (thin to 2) - harvest 30 days
- 3 bright lights Swiss chard (thin to 1) - harvest 60 days, but can eat as baby greens
Hypothesis: My best guess :
- There is enough light to grow all 4 species.
- There will be < 10% difference in harvest.
What I want is > 10% difference in harvest - LEDs clearly more grow power for same watts.
day 1: CFL side first lettuce already up.
day 2: Doubting that was lettuce yesterday. New two lettuce and two toy choi CFL side, two toy choi and one lettuce LED side.
day 4: At least one up of everything except LED side chard.
week 2: experiment terminated, answer is clear.
But terminated the experiment. Complete 2 week yield: