Whilst I await some parts for my hydroponic grow room, I wondered about how to grow some broccoli in the AeroGarden. As it stands the basic AG cannot grow broccoli due to it's small grow holes, so, why not rip it all apart and convert it to something that can...
Briefly, here's how it's all done - although it's an involved process which requires some hydroponic parts (hydroton, air pump + airline, airstone, net pots and rockwool - or some other grow medium).
1. Remove the complete central column and pump from inside, plus also the front hinged flap.
2. Using the AG as a template, cut out a new top grow base - I used plywood.
3. Cut out a hole for a 2" net pot which will take the hydroton and grow our broccoli.
4. Wrap everything in black plastic bags to keep the water away from the wood. I also used heat reflective tape to cover the top.
5. Put your airstone inside and connect it all up to your air pump, cover the electrical contacts at the back with plastic to stop them getting wet. We'll leave everything turned all off at the moment while the seeds germinate.
6. Germinate your seeds first in rockwool in a warm dark place. I planted two in case one did not sprout.
7. Once they have sprouted give them light from the AeroGarden lights, grow them a little while longer before transferring them to your net pot and hydroton.
8. Add your hydroponic nutrients (or spare AG tablets) and grow your broccoli...
I'll expand on some more of this as I go through the process of getting this grown. I know it's a little involved but what the heck, something different.
Weekly Grow Pictures (Click to Enlarge)