This topic started mixed-in with a Kale grow comparing kale grown in Aerogarden, manual hydroponic "splasher", and soil. But, in the Indoor Salad book, one of my DIY projects is a splasher. So I started out just wanting to test the instructions for the DIY project, since it's been a while. Then I wanted to try out my new 1-part vegetative organic nutrients vs. one-part vegetative inorganic nutrients.
It's spring! Saith the calendar. The weather doesn't say that as clearly. Last snow was... Thursday, with more coming tomorrow. But! There's a whole week with no temperatures forecast below 28 degrees! Close enough for the earliest stuff! Planting out pre-sprouted peas this afternoon, planted spinach and radish seeds, have bunch of transplant greens and pansies still protected indoors.
The fall crops are peas (super snappy edible-podded and sugar sprint snap peas), lettuce (mostly romaine and buttercrunch), and a single surviving baby choi. I started a bunch of peas under the melons in August, but they got very spindly that way. A few more replaced where the beans were, late in August, but half of those died somehow. So, not a lot. At least aphids don't seem to be infesting the greens this year.
Should have put this in a new topic last week... No longer 2011!
Replanted the 7-pod garden yesterday, and started replacements for the 3-podders as well, in a Park Starts block. Camera battery died before I got pix of the minis but they look much the same, except the Korean red curl is getting kinda spent.(Edit: added mini pix.)